Menu Close

Employment Pass

An Employment Pass (EP) is a work permit or visa that allows foreign countries to work in Malaysia. It is primarily available to senior or technically trained workers with specialized job experience and higher wages. The Employment Pass offers employees an agreement that permits them to live or work legally in the country for up to 60 months. An Employment Permit Holder can perform in West Malaysia if the hiring employer has registered with the immigration authority. Depending on the rules, employment passes can be considered for renewal.

If you travel to Malaysia to work for a registered Malaysian company for up to five years or sixty months, depending on your employment contract, you can obtain the Malaysia Employment Pass.

Malaysia’s Expatriate Committee first grants permission for Indian nationals asking for an Employment Pass to fill that specific post through their employer. Foreign nationals seeking to work in Malaysia work visa. To obtain a work visa, you must first locate a Malaysian employer ready to recruit you. A Malaysia Employment Pass is required if you want to work in a Malaysian company or organization in a professional or highly trained capacity.

The Employment Pass is one of the forms of a work permit issued by the Malaysian Government. Before securing an Employment Pass for Malaysia, your employer must get permission from a government agency to hire you. This article will review the steps and requirements for obtaining a Malaysian Employment Pass.

Malaysia Employ Work Image | Malaysia Employment Pass | Malaysia eVisa

Malaysia Temporary Work Permit For Indians

If you have worked in Malaysia for over a year, an employer can apply for the Malaysia Temporary Employment Pass. When your agreement expires, your firm can ask for an extension of up to 10 years. Your company must apply to extend your TEP three months before it expires. They will be disqualified if they apply after the deadline.

Professional Visit Pass To Malaysia For Indians

You can apply for a Professional Visit Pass (PVP) if you are an Indian national with good technical skills. You can stay in Malaysia for up to a year to work or obtain hands-on training from a Malaysian organization. The Professional Visit Pass is valid for up to a year from the issue date.

Malaysian Professional Visit Pass (PVP) Image | Malaysia eVisa

How long does it take to process an application for an employment pass?

Once all necessary paperwork is obtained, EP permits are usually completed within 5 working days. The EP will be issued to the Hiring Company, and you can fly to Malaysia and begin working. When you reach Malaysia with your new employer for seven days, submit your passport to the Malaysian Immigration Department for stamping with the EP data. You can stay and work until the EP expiry date unless it is canceled.   

Malaysia Employment Pass Types and Conditions

Malaysia offers three types of Employment Passes depending on your position and salary.

Executives, CEOs, technical or managing directors, project managers, and other significant corporate positions are included in Employment Pass Category 1.

  • An Employment Agreement must be required for up to five years.
  • The EP can be extended.
  • You are permitted to employ a Foreign Domestic Helper.

Employment Pass Category 2 consists of executive or professional roles in a firm, like marketing or investment managers, college lecturers, directors, architects, etc.

  • You made between RM5,000 to RM9,999 per month.
  • You must have a two-year employment contract.
  • The EP can be extended.
  • You are permitted to employ a Foreign Domestic Helper.

Non-executive positions in a corporation that demand extensive work experience and particular technical or practical abilities are included in the Employment Pass Category 3—designers, artisans, food technologists, etc.

  • You made between RM5,000 to RM9,999 per month.
  • You must have a two-year employment contract.
  • The EP can only be renewed two times.

Apply Malaysia Employment Pass Image | Malaysia eVisa

How can I apply for an employment pass?

Before the Immigration Department can issue an Employment Pass, the Expatriate Committee (EC) or appropriate authorities in Malaysia must authorize foreign experts to fill a position.

Foreign nationals must supply the following information for the hiring company to consider their application:

  • The most recent version of their resume
  • a duplicate of their passport 
  • A current passport photograph with a blue background
  • A copy of their employment contract as well as their work description
  • Documents of their highest educational certificates and a Certified True Copy (CTC) from the Malaysian Embassy/High Commission/Consulate General or the hiring organization’s HR head.
  • The authorizing agency’s or regulatory body’s supporting documentation 
  • Any additional documents requested during the application process